In an appeal hearing to start on Thursday, Denmark’s top court are going to be asked to make a decision if coughing at someone while shouting ‘corona’ constitutes threatening behavior.
The 20-year-old defendant within the case was arrested in March, when the country was under a full coronavirus lockdown, after subjecting police to what prosecutors called the ‘ruthless and thoughtless’ actions during a routine traffic stop. He subsequently tested negative for Covid-19.
First acquitted during a local court, he was later convicted of the offense at Denmark’s Western supreme court , and, at his Supreme Court appeal against that conviction, prosecutors are seeking a jail term of three to 5 months. The Supreme Court is predicted to offer its verdict within the coughing case on February 18.
Other similar incidents of coughing directed at police were reported in Denmark last year, partially a mirrored image of simmering public discontent in some quarters against the government’s handling of the Covid-19 crisis.
The government, which says it follows a ‘precautionary principle’ in managing the virus, enjoyed almost unequivocal public support for swift action against Covid-19 early last year.
But opposition parties have begun to question what some consider an excessively cautious approach as infection rates fall, and 30 percent of Danes now think, the government’s measures are too far-reaching, consistent with a recent Aarhus University study.
Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen in the week said lifting the lockdown required ‘complete epidemic control’.
In recent months, thousands have taken to the streets in protests, some violent, calling for authorities to ease lockdown curbs which they assert limit their freedom and are crippling businesses.
Virologists, health authorities, and therefore the government have defended the present curbs – which have locked down most of the county aside from essential shops – as vital to contain more infectious coronavirus variants, notably ones first identified in Britain and South Africa , that have reached Denmark.
The Ayurvedic practitioners and researchers in India and therefore the US are getting to initiate joint clinical trials for Ayurveda formulations against the novel coronavirus, the Indian envoy here has said.
In a virtual interaction with a gaggle of eminent Indian-American scientists, academicians, and doctors on Wednesday, Indian Ambassador to the US Taranjit Singh Sandhu said the vast network of institutional engagements have brought scientific communities between the 2 countries together within the fight against COVID-19.
“Our Institutions have also been collaborating to market Ayurveda through joint research, teaching and training programmes. The Ayurvedic practitioners and researchers in both the countries are getting to initiate joint clinical trials of Ayurvedic formulations against COVID-19,” Sandhu said.
“Our scientists are exchanging knowledge and research resources on this front,” he said.
The Indo-US Science Technology Forum (IUSSTF) has always been instrumental in promoting excellence in science, technology, and innovation through collaborative activities.
To address COVID-19-related challenges, the IUSSTF had given a call to support joint research and start-up engagements. sizable amount of proposals are being reviewed on means mode by the experts on both the edges , he said.
“Indian pharmaceutical companies are global leaders in producing affordable low-cost medicines and vaccines and can play a crucial role within the fight against this pandemic,” Sandhu said.
According to the ambassador, there are a minimum of three ongoing collaborations between Indian vaccine companies with the US-based institutions.
These collaborations would be beneficial not just to India and therefore the US, but also for the billions who would wish to be vaccinated against COVID-19 across the planet , he noted.
Asserting that innovation are going to be the key driver in pandemic response and recovery, he said tech-companies and start-ups have already begun to require the lead during this direction.
“Telemedicine and telehealth will evolve as will other digital platforms across sectors,” he said. Noting that there has been longstanding collaboration between India and US in health sector, he said scientists are working together in several programmes to know important diseases at basic and clinical level.
Many such programmes are focused on translational research to develop new therapeutics and diagnostics.
There are over 200 ongoing NIH funded projects in India involving 20 institutions from NIH network and a number of other eminent institutions in India engaged during a wide spectrum of research areas to make health care solutions, the senior diplomat said.
The collaboration under Vaccine Action Programme (VAP) resulted in development of ROTAVAC vaccine against rota virus which causes severe diarrhea in children.
The vaccine was developed by an Indian company (Bharat Biotech) at a reasonable cost. it’s been commercialised and introduced within the Expanded Programme on Immunisation.
Development of the many other vaccines like TB, Influenza, Chikungunya also are ongoing under the VAP, he said.
“As I speak, the VAP meeting is ongoing where experts from both countries are deeply engaged in technical discussions to expedite development of COVID-19 vaccine,” Sandhu said in his remarks.
During the interaction, the eminent experts appreciated India’s handling of the COVID-19 pandemic and offered their valuable suggestions and best practices.
They shared their ideas on deepening the knowledge partnership between India and therefore the US.
The experts who took part in interaction, were drawn from a wide-ranging fields including AI , quantum informatics , biomedical engineering, robotics, engineering , earth and ocean science, virology, physics, astrophysics, and health sciences.
Prominent among those that attended the virtual interaction were Subhash Kak Regents Professor at Oklahoma State University, Dr Vijay Kuchroo, Samuel L Wasserstrom Professor of Neurology at Harvard school of medicine , Dr Ashish M Kamat, Professor of Urology at MD Anderson Cancer Center, Ashutosh Chilkoti, Alan L Kaganov Professor of Biomedical Engineering and Chair of the Department of Biomedical Engineering at Duke University; and Prof Manu Prakash, professor in Department of Bioengineering at Stanford University , among others.
US President Donald Trump lashed out at China once more saying that the country has caused “great damage to the us and therefore the remainder of the world!” Trump had earlier called coronavirus “China virus” in yet one more dig at China because the number of coronavirus cases within the us shot up to over 2.8 million. The us has reported over 129, 947 deaths thanks to the virus with several states including Texas and California experiencing new outbreak.
Several states within the US cancelled the annual fireworks displays on Independence Day thanks to the virus outbreak. a minimum of 15 US states have reported record increases in coronavirus cases.
Florida, Arizona are hit with rising cases within the past month worrying officials and putting health services under severe strain.
In Florida’s Miami Beach hospitalizations have reportedly doubled within the last 14 days with states like South Carolina, Alabama, Nevada, Texas, Georgia, Idaho and Kansas reporting huge surge in cases.
Amid the rising cases, however, Trump claimed that 99 per cent of COVID-19 cases within the us were “totally harmless.”
According to Johns Hopkins coronavirus tracker, the US recorded 39,379 new coronavirus cases in 24 hours along side 234 fatalities on Monday.
A city in northern China on Sunday sounded an alert after a suspected case of plague was reported.
The suspected plague case was reported on Saturday by a hospital in Bayannur, Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region.
The city announced A level III warning of plague prevention and control, state-run People’s Daily Online reported — the second lowest during a four-level system.
The alert forbids the hunting and eating of animals that would carry plague and asks the general public to report any suspected cases of plague or fever with no clear causes, and to report any sick or dead marmots.
Bubonic plague may be a bacterial disease that’s spread by fleas living on wild rodents like marmots. It can kill an adult in but 24 hours if not treated in time, consistent with the planet Health Organization (WHO).
At present, there’s a risk of a person’s plague epidemic spreading during this city. The local health authority announced that the warning period will continue until the top of 2020.
On July 1, state-run Xinhua press agency said that two suspected cases of plague reported in Khovd province in western Mongolia are confirmed by lab test results. The confirmed cases are a 27-year-old resident and his 17-year-old brother, who are being treated at two separate hospitals in their province, it quoted a health official as saying.
The brothers ate marmot meat, the health official said, warning people to not eat marmot meat.
A total of 146 people that had contact with them are isolated and treated at local hospitals.
A couple died of plague within the western Mongolian province of Bayan-Ulgii last year after eating raw marmot meat.
The news of plague came after Chinese researchers issued an early warning over another potential pandemic caused by an influenza virus in pigs.
Scientists from China Agricultural University, the Chinese Centre for Disease Control and Prevention and other institutes detected a pig influenza virus bearing genotype 4 (G4), which is contagious among pigs and has the likelihood of jumping to humans, because the G4 virus is in a position to bind with human cells, state-run Global Times reported last week.
The researchers are concerned that it could mutate further in order that it can spread easily from person to person, and trigger a worldwide outbreak, BBC reported.
The new diseases were reported whilst China grappled with the second attack of COVID-19 in Beijing after controlling it in Wuhan where it had been first reported in December last year.
US President Donald Trump’s daughter Ivanka posted a photograph on Instagram on Wednesday showing herself wearing a light-weight blue mask as she posed outside with Republican Leader of the House Kevin McCarthy and Republican Rep. Bruce Westerman from Arkansas.
But while Ivanka’s caption encouraged others to imitate and wear their own masks publicly , her father’s supporters aren’t convinced — and are chastising the primary daughter, telling her to get rid of the mask.
The photo shows Ivanka and therefore the two representatives outside. Rep. Westerman wears a suit and surgical mask, Rep. McCarthy features a gray cloth mask, and Ivanka is modeling a reasonably blue watercolor mask.
The caption — which Ivanka copied from Rep. McCarthy — reads ‘Wear a mask. Plant a tree,’ and includes both a tree and a mask emoji.
Ivanka has been pictured wearing face masks before during the pandemic. She donned a black one while accompanying her father to a photograph op outside St. John’s Church, after he’d had protesters cleared away with smoke canisters and pepper balls.
This, however, appears to be the primary time that she has encouraged others to wear masks too — and Trump voters aren’t pleased.
Many criticised her for wearing a mask.
‘Please don’t wear a mask that’s not what we were created to try to to ,’ wrote one, while another told her to ‘take the mask off.’
‘I love POTUS but this mask bs must stop,’ said another, while others called her ‘silly’ and ‘stupid’ and posted sheep emojis.
More comments have poured in, with countless Trump supporters telling her to lose the mask.
‘Why are you reppin the mask? Take that off…….’ wrote one commenter
‘Mask are bs if you where a mask why social distance all bs political bs,’ wrote another.
‘The administration must concentrate more on health, vitamins, and exercise to assist fight Covid-19,’ said yet one more .
‘You don’t got to wear a mask to plant a tree. Fresh air is far healthier for you than inhaling what’s therein mask. Plant a tree while breathing fresh air enjoy mother nature. i’m a supporter of you and your family but the mask issue possesses to finish ,’ added another .
A clothing factory named Jaswal Fashions based within the eastern England city of Leicester faces a contemporary slavery investigation after an undercover reporter alleged sweatshop-like conditions and below wage payments to its workers, many of them from India.
According to ‘The Sunday Times’, its undercover reporter found that workers were being paid as little as 3.50 pounds an hour as against the UK’s legal wage of 8.72 pounds an hour and was also operating last week during the localised coronavirus lockdown imposed on the town .
UK Home Secretary Priti Patel described the allegations as “truly appalling” and commended the undercover investigation for its role in “uncovering such abhorrent practices”.
“I won’t tolerate sick criminals forcing innocent people into slave labour and a lifetime of exploitation,” said Patel.
“Let this be a warning to those that are exploiting people in sweatshops like these for his or her own commercial gain. this is often just the beginning . What you’re doing is against the law , it’ll not be tolerated and that we are coming after you,” she said.
Last week, the senior Cabinet minister had directed the UK’s National Crime Agency (NCA) to research modern slavery allegations in Leicester’s clothing factories after alarm was raised that they were a key source of the spike in coronavirus infections within the region, which led to England’s first localised COVID-19 lockdown for the town .
“Within the previous couple of days NCA officers, along side Leicestershire police and other partner agencies, attended variety of business premises within the Leicester area to assess concerns of recent slavery and human trafficking,” the NCA said, which is looking into the undercover reports.
The UK’s Modern Slavery Act was passed in 2015, making it a criminal offense to take advantage of labour and not pay the wage .
The newspaper’s undercover reporter spent two days at Jaswal Fashions, a factory which supplies garments to at least one of Britain’s fastest-growing online retailer Boohoo, which owns labels like Nasty Gal, PrettyLittleThing, MissPap, BoohooMAN, Karen Millen and Coast. A statement from Nasty Gal said the corporate would investigate the newspaper’s claims, but insisted that Jaswal Fashions wasn’t a “direct supplier”.
“Nasty Gal doesn’t allow any of its suppliers to pay but the wage and features a zero-tolerance approach to incidences of recent slavery,” said Nasty Gal during a statement.
“We have terminated relationships with suppliers where evidence of non-compliance with our strict code of conduct is found. we’ll take immediate steps to completely investigate the allegations raised and if the allegations are substantiated we’ll make sure that our suppliers immediately cease working with Jaswal Fashions,” it added.
The boxes packed at the factory displayed the name Morefray Limited, another Leicester-based clothing manufacturer. The newspaper said that the person who was identified because the boss of the factory refused to answer questions intimately , but said: “We have legit staff.”
The campaign group Labour Behind the Label alleged recently that factories in Leicester making Boohoo garments had put staff in danger of contracting COVID-19, by pressuring them to figure without proper personal protective equipment (PPE) or social distancing.
“Emerging evidence indicates that conditions in Leicester’s factories, primarily producing for Boohoo, are putting workers in danger of COVID-19 infections and fatalities as some factories have remained open for production during the lockdown, whilst others are now re-opening,” the group claimed in its report.
The allegations are denied by Boohoo, which said it uses about 150 factories in Leicester, employing 50 people each on the average . Company CEO John Lyttle told the newspaper that he had “personally written to all or any the factories”, outlining company standards and what they have to try to to in terms of following the “government guidelines”.
A man was captured on video being faraway from a Florida-bound flight at LaGuardia Airport Friday for not wearing a mask .
The tense standoff unfolded when a person , whose name wasn’t known, “took his face covering off and refused to place it back on,” a spokesman for Spirit Airlines said.
A video from inside the plane shows a part of an exchange between a Port Authority cop and therefore the man, during which the officer asks the passenger to urge off the plane and therefore the man argues with him.
“I don’t want to force you, I’m asking you,” the cop are often heard saying while asking the person to urge off the fight, which was headed for Fort Lauderdale .
A spokesman for the airline said the person eventually agreed to “deplane on his own rather than risking legal consequences.”
“Spirit will always err on the side of caution when it involves the health and safety of our guests,” the spokesman said. “Wearing a face covering is straightforward , it’s easy, and it’s critical to Spirit and therefore the airline industry as an entire .”
A rep for Port Authority police didn’t immediately respond.
Come Halloween, the Queen Mary transforms into a haunted spectacle filled with monsters and frightened folks. This year, the old boat are going to be a true town .
The ship’s Dark Harbor 2020 season has been canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic, a post on the annual attraction’s Facebook page announced.
“With the uncertainty that lies ahead within the coming months, this unfortunate decision couldn’t be avoided,” the post said.
The horror spectacle’s website highlights the horde of creatures that haunt the ship: an undead captain, a demonic drowned child, an evil maniac chef. The monster-characters aren’t allowed to touch guests, the web site adds, but even that hint of social distance won’t be enough for would-be-wraiths this year.
“To make Dark Harbor the successful event that it’s , our partners undertake months of preparation and diligence . We don’t believe that California will meet the wants to start Phase 4 of reopening by September, which allows events and enormous gatherings to require place, and that we believe other 2020 large events will soon be announcing cancellations,” said a press release from Urban Commons, the corporate that manages the Queen Mary.
The event typically welcomes about 140,000 guests over its season, which runs from the top of September until the beginning of November, and may rise up to 9,500 guests on a busy night, the statement said.
The event’s platform and centerpiece — the historic Queen Mary — once held the record for the fastest transatlantic voyage by a passenger liner. During war II, it ferried troops across the ocean.
Now a tourist attraction docked in Long Beach , the ship suspended operations on May 6. because the pandemic continues, the Queen Mary’s closures extend too.
But Dark Harbor promises to rise from the dead next year. The attraction’s Facebook post said it “[looks] forward to the 2021 haunt season.”